CEEALAR advances education, learning and research through the provision of free/subsidised living accommodation, helping to alleviate bottlenecks to desk work in the effective altruist (EA) community.
How to donate
To make a one-off donation:
To give regular support, we are on Ko-Fi:
- Contact us to donate directly via bank transfer and save in currency conversion losses (The preceding options have 0% fees and ~2% currency conversion losses. Revolut and Wise are good options with 0-1% losses in fees and currency exchange. Convert to GBP before sending.). Or, you can..
- Donate with Crypto [Bitcoin, Bitcoin Cash, Litecoin, USD Coin, Dai; see address below for Ethereum]
- If you’ve been inspired by Vitalik Buterin, you can donate your ETH or ERC20 memecoins to 0x44dd86cd189b07c760f4e940232fb14c90f3e877. This is a 2/3 multisig Ethereum wallet controlled by our Trustees. Any unwanted ERC20 tokens greatly appreciated!
As a registered charity in England and Wales (no. 1189768), donations to us are tax deductible as of 6th December 2019. Let us know if you’d like us to claim Gift Aid on your donation (UK tax payers are eligible; please provide us with your address).
Donors from the USA can make their donation tax deductible by donating to us here (6% fees). In this case, CEEALAR is a England and Wales nonprofit corporation operating through a fiscal sponsorship with Players Philanthropy Fund, a Maryland charitable trust recognized by IRS as a tax-exempt public charity under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code (Federal Tax ID: 27-6601178). Contributions to CEEALAR are tax-deductible to the fullest extent of the law.
- Cheaply buy time spent on EA work
- It costs us $1,400 to fund an individual for 1 month vs an average of $5,500 to support an independent EA researcher (estimate based on EA fund pay outs)
- Multiply the impact of EAs
- We provide a productive environment, networking and support so that grantees can increase their productivity
- Help us scope and optimise this type of infrastructure.
- We’re the first project of this kind and are documenting our learning to provide a blueprint for others
EA Hotel Fundraiser 1: The story
EA Hotel Fundraiser 2: Current guests and their projects
EA Hotel Fundraiser 3: Estimating the relative Expected Value of the EA Hotel (Part 1)
EA Hotel Fundraiser 4: Concrete outputs after 10 months
EA Hotel Fundraiser 5: Out of runway!
EA Hotel Fundraiser 6: Concrete outputs after 17 months
EA Hotel Fundraiser 7: Pitch focusing on case studies with counterfactuals
EA Hotel Fundraiser 8: Life at the EA Hotel, and Testimonials
CEEALAR Fundraiser 9: Concrete outputs after 29 months
Updates from the Centre for Enabling EA Learning & Research [November 2020; includes section “A resident describes life at CEEALAR this year”]
CEEALAR: 2022 Update [Includes the section “Our impact”]
Who has donated
£265,000 _ Jaan Tallinn
£99,400 _ FTX Future Fund*
£10,000 – £20,000 _ Victor Yunenko, 2 anonymous donors
£5,000 – £10,000 _ John Maxwell, Isobel Colbourn, Chris Smith, David Kristoffersson, 1 anonymous donor
£2,000 – £5,000 _ Denisa Pop, Vipul Naik, Richard Ngo, Max Räuker, 2 anonymous donors
£1,000 – £2,000 _Alex Nil, Chris Leong, Toon Alfrink, Will Kirkpatrick, 4 anonymous donors
*We condemn the actions of SBF and the FTX/Alameda inner circle. For more see here.